Happy New Year. Be blessed and be a blessing!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Speeches and Variations

I think a lot and I listen a lot. I always see how people use their arms and body when they talk. I observe the movement of their eyes when they talk. I listen to the tones of the voice. Most importantly, I catch their favorite quotes/words easily.

This is something I found from my unusual habit of observing how people talk (and the words that they use).

Type 1
People who talk using abusing language all the time and are not ashamed to use it. In these people's speeches and talks, you will find a lot of f***, s***, and other forms of direct rough languages that normal people do not (normally) use.

Type 2
People who use variations to offensive languages. These people do not use "what the f***". Instead, you might hear them saying something like, "What the F". Or you might here this type of people using the word "B-S" when they are angry. Sometimes, they might say, "OMG" in replacement of "Oh My God" and other variations.

Question:
What is the difference between type 1 and type 2?

Answer:
There really is no difference.

In church, we might often hear the pastor saying, "Surrender your fear to God. Surrender your worries to God. Surrender your studies to God. ...." Even sometimes, without realizing it, we ourselves chant in our heart, "Lord, I surrender it to you." There is even a hymn called, "I Surrender All".

Taking back my observation to the context of discussion, what does it mean when we sing "I Surrender All" ? Does it mean I surrender my speech to God (by not using abusive language and do not defame His name) but I keep a portion of my thinking to myself (by still thinking about those offensive words in our mind)? Are we trying to justify our own variations of offensive language by using contractions to the words or by using a single substitution word to replace that offensive word? What use does it give us if we thinking of abusive language but try to cover it using some variations and modifications that can easily be uncovered? What benefit does it bring to us if we keep using very polite variations but we still think of those words in our head?

The next time you type "wtf" in your msn messenger, maybe you should think, "Am I surrendering my thoughts to God or am I trying to justify myself in front of God?"

The next time you say B-S to replace you-know-what, maybe you might want to consider not using it at all or just spit up the real words. There really isn't any different.

We are not perfect; we make mistakes all the time. We wrestle with God more often than we think we do. One thing we can control though, is our speech and our thoughts. No one forces you to spit up abusive words. No one will force you to think of those words except for yourself. You might say, "I'm sorry but I'm so used to it." That's not true. Old habits die hard, but they can die if you are determined to stop them from invading your everyday speech.

I leave you with a scripture from Matthew 15:11

"What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "



No comments: